IDW & Glénat Join Forces and Talents in an International Partnership
US company IDW Publishing and French publisher Glénat are launching a new joint initiative, “Original Graphic Novel”, focused on the creation of original comic books, to be published both in France and the United States.
The main purpose of the program is the creation of genre sequential art fit for both markets in terms of storytelling, formats, and themes.
Following the example of the original Disney collection, (e.g. Café Zombo by French author Régis Loisel), the Original Graphic Novel initiative aims to carry out projects of original comics, in a wide variety of genres —science-fiction, fantasy, western, humor, thriller, adventure, and whatever may inspire the authors coming from the American and the Franco-Belgian industries, and wishing to collaborate and mix their talents, styles, and influences.
As the first initiative of its kind, the association between IDW — the 4th largest publisher in the U.S. market — and the Glénat group — 3rd largest in the French market — is a real artistic and commercial bridge between the two countries.
The first original creations to be published in 2018 are:
- The Highest House, a fantasy project by Mike Carey & Peter Gross, creators of The Unwritten, which was twice nominated for the Hugo Award.
- Lowlifes, a hard-boiled thriller set in modern day Los Angeles, by Brian Buccellato & Alexis Sentenac.
To be followed by:
- Sukeban Turbo by Sylvain Runberg & Victor Santos, a wild and violent ride through New York City.
- Boogeymen, a fantastic tale in which monsters do not live only in children’s minds, by Mathieu Salvia & Djet.
- A Glimpse of Ashes, a social, urban thriller, by Thomas Day & Aurélien Police.
- Gunning Down Ramirez, a bloody road-trip reminiscent of Tarantino’s movies, by Nicolas Petrimaux.