Review: The Sixth Gun #40
The Sixth Gun #40 concludes the story arc, “Not the bullet, but the fall”, and book 7 of this amazing fantasy western. With all the comic based TV shows getting script orders from top networks recently I was hoping their would be renewed interest in The Sixth Gun for a series. Maybe in the future? For now, I am perfectly happy with the comic book series and at least we have about two years left of that to give us our fill of Drake Sinclair and Becky Montcrief.
Issue 40 has really changed the course of The Sixth Gun and where it goes from here is going to be hectic and crazy for Drake, Becky and Nidawi (should we call her FauxNidawi now?). Jesup is still hot on their trail after they escaped the town of Brimstone and he currently possesses one of the Six. Drake makes a valiant and noble decision by telling Becky she needs to get as far away from him as possible so he can stall Jesup and prevent him from obtaining Becky’s Sixth Gun. One of the elements I love about the comic book is how Brian Hurtt and Bill Crabtree create amazing sequences and panels of gunfights and dire situations so well. Drake and Jesup’s panels really stood out in this issue and the illustrations and color were a huge part of that.
This issue is almost like a ‘season-finale’ with a really huge cliffhanger. Some questions were answered and a few popped up making it a perfect story to end on until we get issue #41 some time next month. Drake and Becky have a long way to go on their journey out of the hole they are in now and I can only imagine how they will do it. Cullen Bunn is an excellent story teller and I look forward to each issue. The next arc is aptly titled ‘The Grey Witch’, and we have been waiting to see this confrontation for a long time.
Thoughts and Questions – Spoilers
– I’ve asked this before, but what is going on with Drakes shoulder? It looks like it is made of armor. It definitely helped him this issue.
– Is Nidawi dead or is Screaming Crow reviving her WHILE he is taking over her body?
– Is Gord really dead? And Where is Asher and Kirby?
– How can Drake and Becky try to stop Jesup and the Grey Witch now? Jesup seems to be unstoppable, but something tells me that whatever is happening to Drake will play an important part in that. Lol, I wish this would become a TV series soon.
– Did becky successfully change the time-line with Gord?
Story: Cullen Bunn – Art: Brian Hurtt – Colors: Bill Crabtree
Story: 9.5 Art: 9.5 Overall: 9.5 Recommendation: Buy