SDCC 2011 Saturday Wrap Up
Lots of running around with little sleep makes everyone a bit more punch drunk, and that wasn’t more apparent than at the Boom! Studios panel which left one comic book fan storming out early on, because not enough new news was being broken. This lead to a lot of laughter throughout the hour long presentation, and showed some folks can really roll with the punches. I haven’t laughed like that in a long time.
This also was the last day of the con for me. It’s back to boiling Washington, DC for me with an early afternoon flight. But that also means, decisions were made today as to some artists and writers to spotlight that caught my eye in Artist’s Alley and the small press areas of the show. I have three that I think are all solid picks.
But here’s some more random thoughts post show:
- Lots of plans on how to tackle SDCC next year.
- Archaia is always a fantastic company and their Eisner wins Friday show why I feel right in my pick of them as the Publisher of the Year 2010.
- I got to meet and get autographs from Matz and Jhonen Vasquez, the former a new favorite and the latter a favorite of mine for over a decade.
- Boom! Studios is a great crew. Looking forward to a closer relationship between them and this site.
- More panels next year (and maybe I can be on one or two.. hint hint people!)
- Maybe it’s time to wear a costume… naw. I will start getting style tips from Ben Templesmith. The man oozes fashion.
- I leave either late Sunday or Monday next year and get a closer hotel.
- Now I have a feel of what to expect, better believe we’ll have some fun as press with much better coverage and access.
- Need a better camera…
- Artists Alley and Small Press sections of conventions are still my favorite places to wander. You see such wonderful talent from creators who are either overlooked or just haven’t hit big yet, or most importantly are bucking the system. Each con I go to, the bulk of my money goes to supporting these individuals and finding new and up and coming talent.
That might be it for this convention, but onto Gen Con 2011, Baltimore Comic Con 2011, SPX 2011 and New York Comic-Con 2011!