Gamal Hennessy Takes You Into The Business of Independent Comic Book Publishing on Kickstarter
The business of comics is chaotic and complex. Enter comic book attorney Gamal Hennessy and his new book, The Business of Independent Comic Book Publishing. This comprehensive and easy-to-understand overview of the business of comic book publishing will be an invaluable resource for anyone interested in becoming a successful comic book professional, whether you’re making the comics or publishing them. Hennessy is currently running a Kickstarter campaign to fund the book, which will run for 30 days.
Featuring a foreword from writer and Heavy Metal executive editor Joseph P Illidge and edited by Aftershock editor-in chief Mike Marts, The Business of Independent Comic Book Publishing is a book by pros, for pros and aspiring creators alike. Hennessy taps into more than 2 decades of experience as an entertainment contracts attorney to break down the complex comics business into layman’s terms. The book addresses questions like:
- How much money do I need to publish my comic?
- How much money should I charge for my comic?
- Does social media matter?
- How can I work with comic shops to market the comics?
- How do I select a printer for my books?
The Business of Independent Comic Book Publishing is organized into three easy-to-read parts (pre-production; production; and post-production), with chapters devoted to topics including intellectual property management; production; distribution; sales and advertising; marketing; and everything in between.
When he’s not practicing law, Hennessy writes novels and The Business of Independent Comic Book Publishing provides both practical business advice and inspiration, from one creator to another. The book provides a comprehensive guide to making comics and bringing them to market, including:
- Turning your creative ideas into published comics
- Developing intellectual property that you own and control
- Creating a business plan tailored for your specific publishing goals
- Finding and hiring a professional team to create your book and support your business
- Understanding the distribution process
- Creating comics—that you can be proud of—on time and under budget
- Using your comics to generate multiple streams of revenue
- Building a long-term relationship with your readers
If funded through Kickstarter, pledges will be delivered to backers this October.