Marvel and Disney Drop the Ball During Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
I went into Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. expecting cross promotion from Marvel. And there was some, of the movies the television series is based on. During the debut of the television show, there were numerous nods to the comics that the Marvel movie universe is based off of. But, comics remain the bastard child who are not mentioned. And that’s a failure by Marvel and Disney. There’s no excuse here. There was a huge opportunity that was missed, that’s been missed with each movie release as well, so in reality I’m not shocked.
Disney owns both Marvel and ABC, the network the show airs on, and could mandate that this television show promote the material the television show and movies are based on. With a quick “learn more” graphic, or god forbid ad, traffic to Marvel’s digital comics store would spike (my guess taking it down in the process), selling more, potentially bringing in new readers, and getting people interested in comics, something many don’t know where to purchase, and some don’t even know still exist. But this didn’t happen, and for that there’s no excuse.
Here’s the reality of each of these fandoms in the United States and how they break down using Facebook data.
- 2.4 million – Fans of the Avengers movie who are not fans of Marvel Comics, 50% of those fans
- 200,000 – Fans of Avengers comics and not the Avengers movie, that’s almost 50%
- 400,000 – Fans of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. that aren’t fans of Marvel Comics
- 100,000 – Fans of S.H.I.E.L.D. that aren’t fans of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., over 56%
- 400,000 – Fans of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. that aren’t fans of the Avengers movie
- 200,000 – Fans of the Avengers comics that aren’t fans of Marvel Comics
- 0 – Fans of S.H.I.E.L.D. that aren’t fans of Marvel comics
So, if one looks at the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Facebook page there’s promotion for the movies, and even Entertainment Weekly, but going back I see nothing mentioning comics. At all. Ever.
Going to the Avengers movie Facebook page fairs better. There it actually mentions comics. With links to purchase! If Marvel doesn’t do that, all of those fans who don’t “like” Marvel might never hear about comics.
Between the page of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Avengers movie, that’s 2.6 million people who might be interested in the material the movies and television show are based on. If I were Marvel, I’d be offering a free digital copy right now as an attempt to hook all of those potential new purchasers.
While we some of that on Facebook, though not enough, we saw no promotion on a television show that aired before millions. That’s a failure.