SPX 2013: Works by Ed Piskor, Seth and Jeff Smith Lead Debuting Books
Small Press Expo has announced that a record 183 titles (as of this posting) will make their first public appearance at SPX 2013, which will be held September 14 and 15. Showing the range and depth of the over 600 creators that will be at the show, this years debuts include:
- Hip Hop Family Tree Vol. 1 by Ed Piskor from Fantagraphics
- Palookaville 21 by Seth from Drawn & Quarterly
- Delusional by Farel Dalrymple from Adhouse Books
- RASL (Complete Hardback Color Edition) by Jeff Smith from Cartoon Books
- World Map Room by Yuichi Yokoyama from Picturebox
- Softcore #1,#2,#3 self published by Box Brown
- The Fez #2 self published by Roger Langridge
- Little Tommy Lost: Book No. 1 by Cole Closser from Koyama Press
- The Big Wet Balloon by Liniers from Toon Books
The Small Press Expo is a fantastic convention just outside of Washington, DC that spotlights independent creators and publishers, they hold the Ignatz Award festival which recognizes outstanding achievement in comics and cartooning, with the winners chosen by attendees at the show.
Profits from the SPX go to support the SPX Graphic Novel Gift Program, which funds graphic novel purchases for public and academic libraries, as well as the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund, which protects the First Amendment rights of comic book readers and professionals.
SPX also supports the Small Press Expo Collection at the Library of Congress, which preserves the history of both the artistic output of the creators who come to SPX, as well as the art that SPX itself generates as part of its yearly festival. It the first program of its type by a major institution in the United States to preserve the works of the indie comics community.