Pick of the Week – I, Vampire #1
Vampires in the DC universe, it’s really that simple. Joshua Hale Fialkov has been one of the folks tasked with bringing a bit darker edge to the DC world with the launch of I, Vampire #1.
For hundreds of years, vampire Andrew Stanton kept mankind safe from the horrors of the supernatural world, thanks to a truce he made with his ex-lover Mary, the Queen of the Damned. But now the truce has reached a bloody end and Andrew must do everything in his power to stop Mary and her dark forces from going on a killing spree – and she plans to start with the heroes of the DCU!
Fialkov has proven he can do dark. Read Echoes and you can’t tell me the man isn’t a bit tweaked (in a good way). I’ve read the comic, and it’s awesome, one of my favorites of the relaunch and the idea of blending these two worlds together is very interesting to me. There’s a lot of debate about what’s right and wrong along with some simple fight scenes, giving you a bit more to think about. Vampires are simple bad guys to pit the heroes of the DCU against and hopefully when it comes to that, it’s as cool as this first issue.
- I, Vampire #1 – see above
- Ultimate Comics Ultimates #2 – I’m new to the Ultimate Marvel universe, but all of the first issues have been rock solid. Out of the four series, this one stands out to me mixing super heroes at a global level with some nice political intrigue.
- Ghostbusters #1 – It’s Ghostbusters, nuff said.
- The Flash #1 – The Flash was the focal point of Flashpoint and I have a feeling he’ll play a big role in the DCU. It helps his last volume was awesome, I can’t wait for this reboot.
- Rachel Rising #2 – I read the first issue and all I can say is wow. It was fantastic and from what I can tell this is an undead/zombie series that’s still original.