40 years have passed since the release of Iron Maiden’s groundbreaking fourth studio album, Piece of Mind. Released in 1983, Piece Of Mind was the band’s first album to enter the U.S. Billboard Top 20, peaking at #14, achieving RIAA platinum certification in the U.S. More than an album, it was a thunderous statement of intent by a band whose meteoric rise from the East End of London would thrust them into the realms of legend. This fall the metal pioneers have partnered with Z2, the award-winning publisher, to bring the multi-platinum album Piece of Mind to book form. Available Tuesday, November 21, Iron Maiden: Piece Of Mind, is a stunning love letter to fans from one of the most celebrated metal bands in music history. Opening with an introduction titled “Piece of Mind at 40” by ever-present manager Rod Smallwood, this commemorative book is packed with comics, art, and testimonials from acclaimed writers, artists, actors and musicians, as a powerful celebration of the living legend that is Iron Maiden.
A jaw-dropping work that pushes the boundaries of print production and presentation, The Oversized Deluxe and Asylum Editions of Iron Maiden: Piece Of Mind are encased in an asylum clamshell with locking mechanism. Maiden’s iconic mascot Eddie growls and snarls from behind the die-cut bars on the asylum doors, but the sliding bolt is designed to keep him safely confined! However, when the reader dares to unlock the book, they will be delighted as Eddie breaks free of his chains and straitjacket!
Assembling an all-star team to create new interpretations of the most important metal album in music, Iron Maiden: Piece of Mind features original stories for each of the nine album tracks including Where Eagles Dare – written by Steven Grant illustrated by Carson Thorn, Revelations – fittingly crafted by Bruce Dickinson with Tony Lee and illustrated by Damien Worm; (“Revelations” being the first track in Maiden history to be solely-credited to Dickinson), Flight of Icarus by Eisner nominee Ivan Brandon illustrated by Francesco Dossena, Die With Your Boots On by Emmy-winning director and screenwriter Sacha Gervasi with art by Christian Rosado, The Trooper by Antony Johnston illustrated by Staz Johnson, Still Life by Leah Moore and John Reppion painted by John Pearson, Quest for Fire from metal authority Brian Posehn with art by Michael Avon Oeming, Sun and Steel by multiple World Fantasy Award-nominee Chris Roberson with art by Danijel Žeželj, and To Tame a Land, written and illustrated by Alison Sampson. In addition, between each story, the book is packed with original pieces of art by acclaimed illustrators, including Montos, Ghoulish Gary, Steve Chanks, Jan Meininghaus, Kyle Hotz, Jay Geldhof, Darin Hazmat, Travis Knight, Akirant and Nat Jones.
The impact of Piece of Mind and Iron Maiden across the creative community is reflected by the star-studded testimonials contained within, including Simon Gallup, AEW legend Chris Jericho, MMA Superstar Josh Barnett, multiple Grammy-nominee and Lifetime Achievement Award-honoree Chuck D, Grammy-winning director Jonas Akerlund, and multiple Grammy-nominee Anthrax guitarist Scott Ian.
With Iron Maiden: Piece of Mind, collectors will have five variants available to purchase, including: The Trooper cover by multiple Eisner-nominee J.G. Jones, Asylum Edition with cover by multiple Society of Illustrators-winner Jason Edmiston, Die With Your Boots On cover by UK Iron Maiden illustrator Dan Mumford, and The Flight of the Icarus cover by Eisner-nominee Martin Simmonds with an additional The Trooper Cutaway cover by famed poster artist Travis Knight.
Z2 present multiple collector editions of Iron Maiden: Piece of Mind – perfect for the diehard fan’s bookshelf:
- The standard edition graphic novel (HC) with cover art by Dan Mumford ($40.00).
- The FLIGHT OF ICARUS Edition featuring the standard edition graphic novel (HC) with cover art by Martin Simmonds – limited to only 3,000 copies and exclusive to Independent Comic Shops ($40.00).
- THE TROOPER Edition featuring the standard edition graphic novel (HC) with cover art by J.G. Jones – limited to 500 copies and exclusive to Project M/Revolver Magazine ($40.00).
- THE TROOPER Cutaway Edition featuring the standard edition graphic novel (HC) with cover art by Travis Knight – limited to 666 copies and exclusive to Rockabilia.com ($40.00).
- THE TROOPER Foil Card in sealed Collector’s Case, art by Travis Knight – limited to 666 cards ($35.00).
- DELUXE Edition including the oversized graphic novel (HC) w/bonus pages and a POP-UP insert featuring cover art by Jason Edmiston encased in the Piece of Mind Asylum Clamshell box with locking Cell Door Action and three (3) Piece of Mind Art Prints Triptych set by Hydro 74, ($150.00) – website only.
- And for the true collector, Z2 offers THE ASYLUM Edition which includes the oversized graphic novel w/bonus pages and a POP-UP insert featuring cover art by Jason Edmiston, encased in the Piece of Mind Asylum Clamshell box with locking Cell Door Action, three (3) Piece of Mind Art Prints Triptych set by Hydro 74, one (1) 1983 Piece of Mind replica concert ticket, one (1) Die With Your Boots On Art Print, signed and numbered by Dan Mumford (only available to the first 500 orders), four (4) Iron Maiden Collectors Cards in a display case featuring the works of Dan Mumford, Jason Edmiston, J.G. Jones, and Martin Simmonds ($300.00). Additionally, The Asylum Edition includes one (1) Eddie Asylum Model Kit, which will be shipped separately.