Top Five Predictions for comiXology’s Announcement this Friday
Something is brewing over at comiXology, the 800lb gorilla in the digital comic market space. The company will have a “major announcement” at 2pm PDT/5pm EDT which you can watch on Twitch. Along with the live stream you can attend viewing parties at their nearest Amazon Pop-Up or Amazon Books retail locations. Exclusive giveaways will be available to those attending the live stream at Amazon’s retail locations while supplies last. The livestream will be hosted by noted esports personality Marcus “djWHEAT” Graham and will feature special guests including noted comic book writers and artists.
With some mystery still remaining, I threw together my top five predictions from most likely to least likely as to what will be announced.
- The announcement specifically mentioned comiXology Originals, the company’s line of comics produced in partnership with other publishers. After an Eisner nomination for Marley’s Ghost, it wouldn’t be a shock if the company is expanding this line. Expect a line of original comics produced directly through comiXology and most likely leveraging Amazon’s self-publishing portal in some way. While this is almost a sure bet, the real announcement will be the details of the how and the creators involved. Will it be open to anyone? Will it be curated? These are the unknowns. Likelihood: 100%
- Amazon’s self-publishing is now part of comiXology Originals. You can publish your own series or write familiar character through a program on Amazon and it’s possible this will blend together with comiXology Originals so your Amazon published stories will now sync with comiXology bringing down what looks like a walled operation. Likelihood: 75%
- Amazon and comiXology are buying a publisher – Not as likely, but there’s a lot of publishers who are floating “for sale” signs and have for a while. With Netflix purchasing Millarworld, it wouldn’t be crazy to see Amazon purchase an established comic publisher of their own. Not only do they get comics, they also get intellectual property to mine for their Amazon Prime original series. Likelihood: 50% (predicting this one down the road though)
- (Insert Big Name Creator) is getting a line of comiXology Originals – Giving creators their own pop-up imprint is popular again. comiXology has dumped a truck of cash at the feat of some big creator who is going exclusive and will manage a new line of original comics. Likelihood: 25%
- ALL ORIGINAL!!! – Forget the big two, comiXology is going all original and dropping everyone…. Yeah, not very likely. Likelihood: 0%
While it’s pretty clear from the original press release teaser that this will have something to do with comiXology Originals, there’s still a lot of possibilities when Amazon is involved. The industry is wide open for a jolt of energy when it comes to digital comics and maybe this Friday we’ll see the first steps of that. We’ll be live Tweeting whatever the announcement is and you can follow us to find out when things are revealed.