The Martian Takes the Top Spot
The Martian took the top spot at the box-office, earning $55 million. That’s just shy of the record for October which was $55.7 million. The film also earned an “A” CinemaScore, which means the film should do well for some time.
The Martian also opened in 49 international markets. There it earned $45.2 million, and that brings its total to $100.2 million. The film’s full international schedule doesn’t have it opening up in all markets until February 2016.
The other big opening was The Walk which earned $1.55 million. but that was in IMAX theaters and other premium large screens. This hasn’t really been done before, so… I guess it was good?
Last week’s box-office champ Hotel Transylvania 2 came in second and earned $33 million. Sicario came in third in its third week adding $12.1 million to its domestic total.
In other geeky movie news, Minions came in 17th and added $310,000; Jurassic World added $281,000; Inside Out added $240,000; Ant-Man added $132,000 to their totals.
Here’s the 2015 top five grosses for the year so far:
- Jurassic World – $650.82 million
- Avengers: Age of Ultron – $458.95 million
- Inside Out – $353.85 million
- Furious 7 – $351.03 million
- Minions – $333.91 million
- Jurassic World – $1.6638 billion
- Furious 7 – $1.5117 billion
- Avengers: Age of Ultron – $1.4028 billion
- Minions – $1.1453 billion
- Inside Out – $792.3 million