Pick of the Week – The Walking Dead #100
This is the 500 lb. guerrilla in the room (though there’s also an excellent graphic novel Guerrillas Vol. 2 out too). The Walking Dead #100 has to be the pick of the week, not only because it’s a solid series, but because of what it’s doing for the comic book market. This indie book might well be the top book for the month, bringing in non-comic book fans, brought over from the television series. This is the pop culture phenomenon that’s still going and shows no sign of fading. Of all of the comic book properties that have gone big recently, it’s Robert Kirkman’s The Walking Dead that’s successfully converting non-comic book fans into readers…
- The Walking Dead #100 – see above
- The Massive #2 – Brian Wood’s latest series is amazing. There’s mystery and action along with a political message, adding in great art to the mix. This is Wood’s as you’d expect, a must read every month.
- Revival #1 – I read it and immediately thought this was one of the best new comics of the year. I don’t want to give too much away, but it involves zombies, sort of, but totally original.
- Richard Stark’s Parker: The Score – I’m a huge crime/noir fan, so this is a no brainer for me.
- The Strain #6 – Vampires done right by Guillermo Del Toro.