Pick of the Week – Harvey Pekar’s Cleveland
I grew up in Cleveland, actually not far from where Harvey Pekar lived. So when it was announced one of his final projects before his death was about that city, I was beyond excited. Having read it, Harvey Pekar’s Cleveland is fantastic. While it covers a time of the city I wasn’t born, I called my parents after reading it asking if they knew the references he made. But the graphic novel is more than just about Cleveland, Ohio, it’s also a story about America’s major cities as a whole, many who suffer like the city dubbed “The Mistake By the Lake.” There’s a few more projects still to come from Pekar, but as a whole, this is up there as one of my favorite works by any comic creator.
- Harvey Pekar’s Cleveland – see above
- Secret History of D.B. Cooper #2 – I’m sure many of you skipped the first issue of this awesome series. It’s so bizarre and entertaining. I don’t even know how to describe it other than awesome.
- Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #4 – I’m loving IDW’s Transformers relaunch with two stories focusing on two very different things, it’s never been a better time to be a Transformers fan.
- 3 Story: Secret Files of the Giant Man – Matt Kindt’s new 3 Story one shot is amazing. I’ve read it, it’s an absolute must buy.
- The Shadow #1 – Garth Ennis doing the Shadow? Yes Please!