Superman’s Pal, Steve Lieber, Comics Artist
Artist Steve Lieber is one of the funniest artists in superhero comics today and his new series with Matt Fraction, Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen is wild and wonderful. Steve Lieber’s comics have been published by DC, Marvel, Dark Horse, Image, Valiant and many others. He’s known for his work on the Eisner-winning Whiteout, a graphic novel adapted by Warner Brothers as a feature film, and for Superior Foes of Spider-Man, an Eisner-nominated cult favorite. His comic The Fix was named Best New Comic of the Year by IGN.
Steve is also a founding member of Helioscope, the largest studio of comic book artists in North America. He lives in Portland, Oregon.
- Pro tips on making comics funny– like how creative paneling will kill a joke
- Jimmy’s outfits are based on Steve’s lawyer
- What a 10 year old Steve made of the Don Rickles issues of Jimmy Olson by Jack Kirby
- “Social class is everywhere. If it’s not coming out in your pictures I’m not sure what you’re drawing”
- “Humor theory is always terrible.”
- “I was trained in the state of the art art of the mid 50s”
And here’s my interview with Steve 3 years back about his series The Fix and going to The Kubert School of Art.