Clutter Magazine & LeftField Media Launch New Take On Comic Con
Clutter Magazine and LeftField Media have announced details around the inaugural Five Points Festival, a designer toy and comic art convention debuting May 20-21 in Lower Manhattan. A showcase for artists, designers, and brands focused on independent art, entertainment, and lifestyle, Five Points is presented by Midtown Comics, sponsored by Playcrafting, and built with major support from brands including Cotton Candy Machine, Kidrobot, the LISA Project, Popaganda, Super7, and Toy Tokyo. The Five Points Festival will play host to guests including Bryan Lee O’Malley, Elsa Charretier, Greg Capullo, Huck Gee, Ron English, Scott Wilkowski, Sean Gordon Murphy, and Tara McPherson.
Boutique event organizer LeftField Media is no stranger to Comic Cons – it was founded by Greg Topalian, the creator of New York Comic Con, and is home to a veteran team with experience building over 50 pop culture conventions around the planet – but Five Points isn’t like any of the wave of Comic Cons which have sprouted up recently. Replacing a model centered on celebrity appearances and autographs, the Five Points Festival puts its focus absolutely on artists and is a celebration of comic creators, designer toy makers, and the culture they create.
LeftField’s partner in Five Points is Clutter, a cornerstone of the US designer toy scene, responsible for the only English-language art toy magazine, gallery, and awards ceremony. Coming to Five Points with a wealth of relationships and an outsider’s eye, Clutter’s challenged much of the common expectations of a Comic Con and brought forward a roster of dynamic guests and very different experiences…
- Five Points will take place in Pier 36 in Manhattan’s Lower East Side. Pier 36 is a modern, robust venue filled with natural light in one of NYC’s most artistic neighborhoods against the backdrop of the East River.
- The Five Points Artist Alley will bring together over 100 comic creators crossing the indie, alternative, and mainstream worlds. A gathering point for unique writers and artists, Five Points’ Artist Alley guest list already counts Amy Reeder, Annie Wu, Ben Templesmith, Brandon Montclare, Christopher Hastings, Cliff Chiang, David Gallaher, Elsa Charretier, James Tynion IV, Ivan Brandon, Joe Harris, Khary Randolph, Leslie Hung, Magdalene Visaggio, Patrick Thomas Parnell, Sean Galloway, Sean Gordon Murphy, and Tini Howard, and the Midtown Comics booth will play host to additional high profile signings with megastar names including Bryan Lee O’Malley and Greg Capullo.
- A home to the best of the designer toy world, Five Points will pull together more art toy makers and brands than any other event on the East Coast with names including Amanda Spayd, Boundless Brooklyn, Chris Ryniak, Expanded Universe with James Groman, Gary Ham, Huck Gee, Instinct Toy, Jason Freeny, Jeff Lamm, LuluBell, Martian Toys, Mighty Jaxx, Mishka, myplasticheart, The Outer Space Men, Ron English, Scott Wilkowski, Skull Toys with Punk Drunkers & Goccodo, Tara McPherson, Tenacious Toys, Tim Clarke, Rampage Toys, and Rotofugi.
- Shining a spotlight on artists working with pixels and bits, Playcrafting will present a hands-on showcase where fans can play a survey of the independent video games sculpted right in NYC.
- Creation of a permanent mural in Lower Manhattan, a larger-than-life installation in partnership with the LISA Project.
- Five Points will host a large Craft Beer Garden headlined by a selection of NYC beers. In line with its focus on artistry, the Five Points Beer Garden will offer tastes of artistic beers brewed in and around New York City, and side-by-side with craft beer, Five Points will present a Food Truck Food Court featuring a curated selection of NYC’s most acclaimed artisan food trucks.
- And Five Points will kick off with the 2017 edition of the Designer Toy Awards. The DTAs are the largest award ceremony in the art toy world and open to designers, comic creators, and fans.
Day and weekend tickets are available now on fivepointsfest.com and will be available at all Midtown Comics locations in late February. Additionally, a VIP ticket which includes extended weekend admission hours, entry to the Designer Toy Awards, and an exclusive limited edition Dunny made only for Five Points is available for a limited time on the Five Points website.
Further designer toy artists, comic creators, brands, and features will be announced over the coming weeks and months, as will details on show exclusives, parties, and special events.