Gen Con 2016 to Feature Record-Breaking Number of Exhibitors, On-Pace to Set Attendance Records
Gen Con 2016 returns to the Indiana Convention Center August 4-7 for THE BEST FOUR DAYS IN GAMING, and current badge sales indicate the show is on pace for record attendance as well. Gen Con is the original, longest running, and best-attended gaming convention in the world. Gen Con 2016 will feature more than 15,000 events taking place over the four-day weekend. For the first time ever, Gen Con will offer events in the Lucas Oil Stadium exhibition space to keep up with demand and growth for the show.
Last year, Gen Con set an attendance record with more than 61,000 unique attendees coming from all 50 states, every Canadian province, and more than 54 countries. The show had a four-day turnstile attendance of more than 197,695. This year, badges are moving at an even faster rate.
According to tourism group Visit Indy, Gen Con drives more than $67 million in annual activity to the city of Indianapolis. At Gen Con 2016, attendees will have a chance to meet the experts in the gaming industry, play newly released games, and get a sneak peek at the latest developments.
The show runs Thursday, August 4, through Sunday, August 7, 2016. Thursday through Saturday, the Exhibit Hall is open 10 am to 6 pm and Sunday from 10 am to 4 pm. 24-hour gaming takes place at the Indiana Convention Center and at area hotels during the four-day event. Pre-registration ends on June 19 and after that, you’ll need to get your badge on site.
Below are some of the announced events and highlights for the convention:
- Sun King Brewing’s 20-Sided Rye Tapping Party – Wednesday, August 3 – Indy’s own Sun King Brewing is releasing their 5th official Gen Con beer, 20-Sided Rye. An open-to-the-public tapping party will serve as the official kick-off to Gen Con 2016, beginning on Wednesday, August 3 at 5 pm on Georgia St. This party will feature live music and entertainment.
- Mayfair Games Charity Event: Saboteur Tournament – Saturday, August 6 – Gen Con Co-Sponsor Mayfair Games will host a gaming event supporting the Official 2016 Charity, The PourHouse, on Saturday, August 6. Participants will play the popular card game Saboteur in a multi-round tournament where the winner will receive a seat in the Saboteur World Championship in Budapest, Hungary in November, 2016.
- Paizo Inc. Reveals Upcoming Games at Gen Con – Gen Con Co-Sponsor Paizo Inc. will have hundreds of events at this year’s convention including Pathfinder RPG events in the Sagamore Ballroom located inside the Indiana Convention Center as well as a full Exhibits Hall presence. They also will reveal new products from the world of Pathfinder to brand new RPG initiatives and product lines to come.
- Rio Grande Games Continues Tradition – Gen Con Co-Sponsor Rio Grande Games continues its tradition of offering players the chance to learn and play are their new games including Dominion: Empires, the latest expansion, along with all other Dominion games.
- Gen Con 2016 Charity Partner The PourHouse – Gen Con has partnered with The PourHouse, a local charity to Indianapolis. The PourHouse, which opened in 2004, provides street outreach and peer advocacy for individuals experiencing homelessness in Indianapolis. In 2015, Gen Con’s programming generated more than $40,000 for the 2015 Charity Partner, The Julian Center.
- Georgia Street Experience – Georgia St. will be filled with food and activities with more than 40 food trucks, the Sun King Brewery Beer Garden, Hot Box Pizza food area, games, and more.
- 31st Annual Costume Contest – The best and most creative costumes will be on display for all to see. Numerous awards will be bestowed across a wide swath of categories during the 31st Annual Costume Contest beginning Saturday, August 6 at 3:30 pm with the pre-show.
- Author’s Avenue, Art Show, and Artist’s Avenue – Earlier this year, Gen Con announced the Author Guest of Honor, Robin Hobb¸ who will be signing books in the book signing area of the Exhibit Hall. Artist Tyler Jacobson has been selected as the Gen Con 2016 Artist Guest of Honor. Jacobson’s credits include illustration for games such as Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: The Gathering. More than 80 artists will take part in the annual Gen Con Art Show, and prints and original artwork will be available for purchase from many participating artists in the Exhibit Hall
- Film Festival – Filmmakers from around the world gather to compete in the Gen Con Film Festival. Some travel from as far away as New Zealand and every other corner of the country for screenings, film panels, and a chance to win many coveted awards.
- Puppet Program – In its second year, the puppet program has a variety of events for novice to professional puppeteers, including workshops on creating puppets, as well as beginning to advance puppeteering. The main event for this program is the Late Night Puppet Slam, an adult puppet comedy skit show.
- Record Number of Sponsors and Media Partners – More companies are bringing dedicated events and event space to Gen Con 2016. This year features the following sponsors: Mayfair Games, Paizo Inc. Rio Grande Games, CoolStuffInc., Upper Deck Company, LLC., ACD Distribution, Breaking Games/Ad Magic, Spin Master Games, Czech Games Edition, The Pokémon Company International, Asmodée Éditions, Cards Against Humanity, CoolMiniOrNot, End Transmission Games, Fantasy Flight Games, Brotherwise Games, Dimension, Interactive Intelligence, Lone Shark Games, MegaCon Games, ODAM Publishing, Sun King Brewery, White Wizard, Games, Games & Gears, HotBox Pizza, Kickstarter, Offworld Designs Inc., Saltire Games, Scotty’s Brewhouse, The PourHouse, Yo-kai Watch, American Mensa Ltd., Do317, GeekDad, and Nuvo Inc.