NYCC 2013: ICv2 Announces Final Speaker List for Conference
New speakers have been added to the list of thought leaders at Comics Ahead! – The ICv2 Conference at New York Comic Con, which includes top executives, authors, editors, and comic creators. “Each panel has been assembled to offer a variety of vantage points, differing opinions, and the kinds of successful backgrounds that show an ability to discern trends and capitalize on them,” ICv2 CEO and Conference organizer Milton Griepp said. “We’ve got a great group this year, and we expect some terrific exchanges as they discuss the profound issues affecting the future.”
The sessions at the ICV2 Conference are:
The ICv2 White Paper
This ICv2 White Paper will present a comprehensive look at the comics and graphic novel market in print and digital for 2012 and 2013, with an analysis of long and short term trends driving the market.
Presented by Milton Griepp, CEO, ICv2
From Creator to Consumer
The path from comic creators to consumer is being disrupted by technology, new business models, and changing tastes. Webcomics and digital sales, Kickstarter, and closer relationships between creators and their fans are empowering new and emerging business models. How much will these emerging trends change comics and everything based on them in the years ahead? We ask our expert panel.
- Calista Brill, Senior Editor, First Second Books
- Simon Fraser, artist, runs the ACT-I-VATEcomix Webcomics collective
- Jamal Igle, artist, successful Kickstarter publisher, lecturer
- Dan Manser, Director of Marketing, Diamond Comic Distributors
- John Roberts, Co-founder, comiXology
- Moderated by Heidi MacDonald, comic editor and commentator from The Beat
Graphic Novels – Growing in a Digital World
Graphic novels, the key to a larger, more diverse audience for comics, are growing again, in a new world in which both print and digital play a role. We look at how a wider range of content, the impact of digital distribution, and the rapidly changing landscape at retail and in libraries can work together to reach a broader, bigger market.
- Leyla Aker, Vice President Publishing, Viz Media LLC
- Greg Goldstein, President and COO, IDW Publishing
- Trudy Knudsen, Manager eContent Acquisitions, Follett
- Dallas Middaugh, Director, Publisher Services, Random House
- Barry Nalebuff, author; consultant; co-writer, Mission in a Bottle; Milton Steinbach Professor at the Yale School of Management.
- Rich Johnson, Founder, Brick Road Media, overseeing Penguin’s InkLit imprint, Adjunct Professor, Drexel University
- Moderated by Calvin Reid, Senior News Editor of Publishers Weekly
The Rise of Geek Culture
The emerging geek culture market is the #1 North American pop culture trend; and as these important, influential consumers flex their muscles, marketers are taking notice. What does this mean for the future of entertainment, marketing, and the stories that are weaving themselves through American life and beyond? Join our panel of experts as they look ahead.
- Gerry Gladston, Co-Owner, Midtown Comics
- Shawn Kirkham, Director of Business Development, Skybound (The Walking Dead)
- Steve Rotterdam, co-founder, Bonfire Agency
- Rob Salkowitz, author, writer of Comic-Con and the Business of Pop Culture
- Intro presentation by Ed Catto, co-founder, Bonfire Agency
- Moderated by Milton Griepp, CEO, ICv2
For more information on the speakers at the ICv2 Conference, click here.
Comics Ahead! – The ICv2 Conference is a ticketed event for professionals, and will take place at the Jacob Javits Convention Center, from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday afternoon, October 9.