Pick of the Week – The Victories #1
I love Michael Avon Oeming‘s work and the prospect of him doing an adult take on super heroes is too cool. The fact that it’s Dark Horse lets you know it’ll be a solid product. That’s why The Victories #1 is an easy top pick for the week.
Not long from now, all that will stand between you and evil are the Victories: Six heroes sworn to protect us from crime, corruption, and the dark. As one member cracks down on the violence, he discovers himself touched by a painful past through the physical powers of LINK. Will this trauma cause him to self-destruct or continue the fight?
There’s the usual comparisons it’s being made to (*cough* Watchmen *cough*) that sets a high bar and expectation, but that only makes me want to check it out more. I’m sure this one will be under ordered and over looked at the shop, so do yourself a favor and make sure to grab a copy!
- The Victories #1 – see above
- Revival #2 – The first issue blew me away as one of the best comics this year and I’m expecting no less from the second. This is a new take on the undead tale that looks like it’ll infuse more family drama into what’s usually a survivor’s tale.
- Pathfinder #1 – Jim Zubkavich’s Skullkickers is an amazing fantasy comic. The fact he’s doing this series based off of the popular fantasy game is a smart move. The fact it’s being released the same week as Gen Con is brilliant.
- Extermination #3 – BOOM! has been kicking ass lately with it’s original works. This is one of those series that’s leading the charge. It’s really what would have happened post-Watchmen if the alien attack was real.
- Saucer Country #6 – The fact this series is about politics is awesome to me, the reality that it’s a political comic with an X-Files spin makes it a must buy.