Pick of the Week – Transformers: The Death of Optimus Prime
Let me say I read this and loved it. IDW‘s Transformers has been one of my favorite series of the years mixing great action featuring the giant alien robots I love with adult plots of politics and intrigue. Some of the best issues of the year (#22 and #23) are in a way reference in this issue as the idea of revolution is debated and once again the opposing philosophies and actions of the Decepticons and Autobots is talked about. This isn’t your kids toys. This is the issue that sets up two upcoming series that plot the further struggles of these alien beings as they rebuild post war.
In a simple issue, Transformers: The Death of Optimus Prime is an allegory about winning the peace and the last ten years of Iraqi occupation are summed up and laid out for all of us to understand. It’s difficult for a solider to lay down their arms and rebuild, it’s not what they’re trained to do. This issue is that first step to see if they can learn how.
- Transformers: The Death of Optimus Prime – see above
- Lady Mechanika #3 – I read it, it’s fantastic.
- Uncanny X-Force #19 – Remender has been knocking it out of the park. It looks like this series will have something to do with the Age of Apocalypse, sign me up.
- Memorial #1 – I’ll be reading this tomorrow morning, but Chris Roberson’s latest has me really psyched. Been looking forward to this one since it was announced.
- Fantastic Four #601 – Issue 600 left me with my jaw dropped, I really want to see what happens next.