The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2 topped the box office with an estimated $101 million. That’s the fifth movie to open above $100 million this year. The film opened $20 million below the first part though. Of course people are calling the film a flop due to that lower opening, even though it was still above $100 million. There’s much debate as to the reason for the “lowish” opening.
Worldwide the film earned $247 million, which is $27.8 million behind Part 1’s $273.8 million. It is a bit apples and oranges comparison due to the film opening in different territories.
Spectre continued to earn, coming in second this weekend and bringing in an estimated $14.6 million. It has earned $153.7 million domestically in the three weeks its been open.
The Peanuts Movie came in third and brought in an estimated $12.8 million to bring its total to $98.9 million in three weeks.
Two new films were fourth and fifth. The Night Before was fourth bringing in an estimated $10.1 million, and fifth was The Secret in their Eyes which earned $6.6 million.
In other geeky films, Minions added $111,930 after 20 weeks.
- Jurassic World – $652.2 million
- Avengers: Age of Ultron – $459.01 million
- Inside Out – $356.16 million
- Furious 7 – $352.79 million
- Minions – $335.63 million
- Jurassic World – $1.6689 billion
- Furious 7 – $1.5148 billion
- Avengers: Age of Ultron – $1.4050 billion
- Minions – $1.1569 billion
- Inside Out – $851.3 million