The Book Industry Charitable (Binc) Foundation and Macmillan Publishers have announced the return of the Macmillan Booksellers Professional Development Scholarship. This scholarship program provides $500 to booksellers traditionally underrepresented within the industry to attend their region’s fall trade show. Due to Covid-19, this program was paused in 2020 and 2021.
This scholarship that will strengthen the bookselling industry by providing support to booksellers already working hard to positively impact their communities.
Each scholarship can be used to cover the cost of travel, lodging, and meals for one bookseller at each regional independent bookseller association’s fall trade show.
To be eligible to apply for a scholarship, a bookseller must have worked in a bookstore as a regular full or part-time employee for a minimum of 90 days. The bookstore must be a member in good standing of one of the regional trade associations. The applicant will answer three brief essay questions and the winners will be selected via an anonymous review process by a panel of publishers from Macmillan and members of the Binc program committee.
Booksellers can find out more details and apply at https://forms.gle/H1FZ2R2haaPvjmhi7
Applicants must fall into one of the categories and criteria below.
- People of color, defined as people of African/African American, Asian/Pacific Islander, Latin American, Middle Eastern, or Native American/Indigenous descent
- People who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or queer
- People with disabilities (includes but is not limited to physical, sensory, cognitive, intellectual, or developmental disabilities, chronic conditions, and mental illnesses).
- The applicant’s store must be a member of one of the regional IBA organizations.
- The applicant must be a regular part-time or full-time employee of the bookstore.
- Applicant must be currently employed and have 90 days of continuous employment with the bookstore.
Applications are now open. The deadline to apply is August 15th, 2022 by 5:00 pm ET.