Comic book haul for new comic book day MARCH 6TH 2019. I go over what I bought, including showing the covers, and give my short reviews and thoughts.
Tag Archives: batman
BATMAN #66 COMIC REVIEW – THE QUESTION OR THE ANSWER?
The “Knightmares” storyline continues! Something—or someone—is forcing Batman to live through some of his darkest fears, amplifying the Dark Knight’s anxieties and reimagining some of his worst traumas. Now that Batman has become aware of the nature of these delusions, he must find a way to break through and find out the source of this disruption. So who does he turn to for answers? Why, the Question, of course! But is Vic Sage just another figment of the Caped Crusaders imagination?
To mark the 80th anniversary of Batman, DC has unveiled plans for a global commemoration of the World’s Greatest Detective. Kicking off this March at SXSW, the multifaceted campaign for DC’s Caped Crusader will feature exclusive celebrations, special theatrical engagements, the milestone release of Detective Comics #1000, live events and first-ever Batman brand partnerships. As fans join together under the campaign’s tagline of #LongLiveTheBat, DC’s timeless character will be honored through Batman Day in September when the Bat-Signal lights up in major cities worldwide.
First appearing as socialite turned crime-fighter Bruce Wayne in Detective Comics #27 on March 30, 1939, the Dark Knight has stood as a symbol of determination, bravery and justice to generations of fans for 80 years. He has influenced every area of modern entertainment, appearing in countless comic books, Saturday morning cartoons, multiple television series, video games, theme parks and experiences, toys, collectibles, apparel and lifestyle products, as well as, blockbuster animated and live-action films. There have been Batman trading cards, board games and newspaper cartoon strips, and the U.S. Postal Service has even honored Batman with his own postage stamps. Batman is a multi-billion dollar icon who continues to reign as the most popular single Super Hero ever created.
To commemorate this milestone, custom artwork was created that pays homage to Batman’s legacy in all forms of media. The Batman profile pencil design is by beloved longtime DC artist José Luis García-López, and digital paint design is by Admira Wijaya. This graphic will be featured throughout the celebration.
DC will honor #LongLiveTheBat throughout 2019, including Batman’s 80th anniversary on March 30 and Batman Day on September 21. As part of this yearlong celebration, there are many ways fans can participate.
- Paying homage to the Super Hero’s 80-year publishing history, DC will present two commemorative books: including the landmark collector’s issue of DETECTIVE COMICS #1000, on sale at comics shops March 27, and a special hardcover release, DETECTIVE COMICS: 80 YEARS OF BATMAN THE DELUXE EDITION, available March 19.
- SXSW in Austin, Texas, will kick off the global celebration with multiple fan experiences, photo opportunities, limited-edition merchandise and Instagrammable mural by a local artist. SXSW will also set the stage for an incredible moment when more than 1.5 million bats fly into the night over Austin’s famous Congress Bridge on March 15.
- DC will celebrate Batman’s 80th anniversary with panels at major conventions, including a dedicated “Happy Birthday, Batman!” panel at WonderCon in Anaheim on the actual anniversary, March 30.
- Generations of fans across the globe will gather together to honor the timeless hero on Batman Day, September 21. The Bat-Signal will light up in major cities worldwide, alongside a wide array of fan celebrations, including interactive photo opportunities, live music, food, games and more. Plus, fans will race across the finish line in their favorite Caped Crusader attire in a series of 5K and 10K runs in select cities.
- Families can celebrate #LongLiveTheBat at multiple Six Flags locations across North America in August with extended hours, exclusive Batman-themed experiences and special merchandise. Warner Bros. theme parks across the globe, including Warner Bros. Movie World Australia, Parque Warner Madrid and Warner Bros. World Abu Dhabi, will host Batman 80thanniversary events.
- Madame Tussauds locations in Orlando and Sydney will unveil interactive fan-friendly experiences, photo opportunities and special merchandise in September.
- In May, collectible art boutique MONDO will host a curated anniversary exhibit at its Austin gallery celebrating iconic Batman cover art throughout the years.
- The global touring exhibition THE ART OF THE BRICK: DC SUPER HEROES will celebrate the Dark Knight with a special Batman edition, beginning this September in São Paulo, Brazil.
- Romics—the comic book, animation and gaming convention in Rome, Italy—will host an immersive Batman 80th anniversary exhibit in April.
- Designed for fans of all ages, visitors to Shanghai this summer will be treated to a first-of-its-kind special exhibit celebrating Batman.
- Otter Media brands Rooster Teeth, Crunchyroll, VRV and Fullscreen will celebrate Batman’s 80th anniversary through a variety of programming and social campaigns designed to amplify DC’s global campaign.
- AT&T will activate across retail, digital and DIRECTV, which will celebrate the anniversary with a Batman-branded channel. Plus, AT&T customers will get insider access through AT&T THANKS to Batman content, comics, merchandise, exclusive fan experiences and more.
- Television broadcast partners worldwide will host Batman programming marathons in March and September.
- Cartoon Network in the U.S. and key territories will host exclusive Batman themed programming and stunts for kids in March and September.
- DC Universe—DC’s digital subscription service—will be celebrating in a big way with the promotion of Batman content in March and September.
- Boys & Girls Clubs of America will join Batman in a first-ever partnership to celebrate kids, teens and youth development professionals who stand up for positive change in their communities. The campaign kicks off in April during National Boys & Girls Clubs Week.
- In honor of military appreciation month this May, DC will partner with the USO, the iconic military support nonprofit, on a special Batman-themed USO2GO kit featuring comics, movies, TV shows, games and more. The kit will offer a fun diversion for service members stationed in remote locations around the globe, connecting them to home and all things Dark Knight.
- Fans in the UK can join in raising awareness of Genetic Disorders UK by wearing an exclusively designed Batman t-shirt on Jeans for Genes Day in September.
- WB and DC are also joining forces with an extensive list of retail partners, including Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Target, iTunes, Walmart, GameStop and Google Play, among others.
- Global partners such as LEGO, Mattel and Funko will release exclusive Batman 80th anniversary products throughout the year.
Conceived by artist Bob Kane with writer Bill Finger, Batman is humanity’s timeless hero. And he’s just getting started. More details on the global celebration will be released in the coming months.
(W) Tom King (A) Jorge Fornes (CA) Mikel Janin
In Shops: Mar 06, 2019
The “Knightmares” storyline continues! Something-or someone-is forcing Batman to live through some of his darkest fears, amplifying the Dark Knight’s anxieties and reimagining some of his worst traumas. Now that Batman has become aware of the nature of these delusions, he must find a way to break through and find out the source of this disruption. So who does he turn to for answers? Why, the Question, of course! But is Vic Sage just another figment of the Caped Crusaders imagination?
Diamond Select Toys dazzled visitors with a variety of new product lines at this year’s New York Toy Fair, including new Bruce Lee action figures, Godzilla Vinimates, and a Captain Marvel Gallery PVC! Now we have official images of some of those products, as well as ordering information – pre-order through your local comic shop or favorite online retailer for a fall 2019 delivery!
Bruce Lee Select Yellow Jumpsuit Action Figure
A Diamond Select Toys release! This 7-inch scale action figure of Bruce Lee features some of the most dynamic articulation ever in a Select figure! Wearing his most famous outfit, the martial arts master sports 21 points of articulation, allowing him to strike the most action-packed poses, and includes an interchangeable head, six interchangeable hands and fists, as well as nunchuks and spinning nunchuks. Designed by Yuri Tming and sculpted by Gentle Giant Studios! (Item #MAR192442, SRP: $29.99)
DC Comic Gallery Deluxe Dark Knight Returns Batman & Robin PVC Diorama
A Diamond Select Toys release! The Dark Knight returns! As seen in the classic Frank Miller mini-series, an older Batman teaches the finer arts of slingshot usage to his newest Robin, Carrie Kelly. This 9-inch-scale Deluxe PVC Diorama measures approximately 8 inches tall, is made of high-grade plastic, and features detailed sculpting and paint details. It comes packaged in a full-color window box. Designed by Shawn Knapp, sculpted by Alterton! (Item #MAR192441, SRP: $69.99)
DC Comic Vinimates Vinyl Figures Series 6
A Diamond Select Toys release! It’s a bat-tastic bunch of Vinimates in DC Comics VInimates Series 6! Each from a popular new Batman comic series, The Batman Who Laughs, Batman: Damned and Batman: White Knight each get the 4-inch vinyl figure treatment in this series, based on the popular Minimates block figure-style. Each comes packaged in a full-color window box. Designed by Barry Bradfield!
Batman Damned (Item #MAR192454, SRP: $9.99)
Batman White Knight (Item #MAR192455, SRP: $9.99)
Batman Who Laughs (Item #MAR192456, SRP: $9.99)
DC TV Gallery Batwoman PVC Diorama
A Diamond Select Toys release! The newest heroine on the CW is none other than Batwoman! Based on her appearance in the Arrowverse crossover, this PVC diorama of Batwoman hanging from a radio antenna bears the likeness of actress Ruby Rose and is made of high-grade plastic. This approximately 9-inch sculpture features detailed sculpting and paint applications and comes packaged in a full-color window box. Designed by Shawn Knapp, sculpted by Cortes Studios! (Item #MAR192440, SRP: $49.99)
Godzilla Vinimates Vinyl Figures Series 1
A Diamond Select Toys release! The King of All Monsters is now the King of All Vinimates! Godzilla and Mechagodzilla headline the first series of 4” vinyl figures based on the classic Godzilla films! The black-and-white Godzilla of 1954 and the full-color Godzilla of 1999 team up against their robot doppelganger, and each has an articulated neck to customize their pose. Each comes packaged in a full-color window box. Designed by Barry Bradfield!
Godzilla 1954 (Item #MAR192451, SRP: $9.99)
Godzilla 1999 (Item #MAR192452, SRP: $9.99)
Mechagodzilla (Item #MAR192453, SRP: $9.99)
John Wick Gallery Chapter 1 PVC Diorama
A Diamond Select Toys release! He’s back! The hitman with a heart of iron returns in an all-new Gallery PVC Diorama. This approximately 9-inch sculpture depicts Wick running through a doorway with his gun drawn, chasing down his next target. Cast in high-quality plastic, this piece features detailed sculpting and paint details, as well as the likeness of actor Keanu Reeves. Designed by Caesar, sculpted by Rocco Tartamella! (Item #MAR192443, SRP: $49.99)
Kingdom Hearts 3 Select Action Figures Series 2 Asst
A Diamond Select Toys release! The new Kingdom Hearts game is final here, and DST has more figures to celebrate! Based on Kingdom Hearts 3, this assortment of three multi-packs includes Hercules with a Dusk, Toy Story Sora with an Air Soldier and the Favorite Deputy Keyblade, and Guardian form Sora with an Air Soldier and the Hero’s Origin Keyblade! Each 7-inch scale action figure features a full range of articulation, and each set comes packaged in display-ready Select figure packaging. Sculpted by Oluf W. Hartvigsen! (Item #MAR192444, SRP: $24.99/ea.)
Legends in 3D Movie Black Panther 1/2 Scale Resin Bust
A Diamond Select Toys release! Hail to the king! T’Challa, the Black Panther, assumes his place in the pantheon of Legends with this regal half-scale bust! Measuring approximately 10 inches tall, this resin bust is limited to only 1,000 pieces, and comes packaged in a numbered box with a hand-numbered certificate of authenticity. Designed by Joe Allard, sculpted by Rocco Tartamella! (Item #MAR192446, SRP: $150.00)
Marvel Comic Gallery Mr. Sinister PVC Diorama
A Diamond Select Toys release! One of the most sinister of X-villains joins the Marvel Gallery line of PVC dioramas! Standing approximately 10 inches tall in a cloud of green smoke, this sculpture of the X-Men foe known as Mr. Sinister is made of high-grade plastic and features detailed sculpting and paint applications. He comes packaged in a full-color window box. Designed by Caesar, sculpted by Alterton! (Item #MAR192447, SRP: $49.99)
Marvel Comic Premier Green Goblin Resin Statue
A Diamond Select Toys release! Spider-Man’s ultimate foe gets the ultimate statue! The Green Goblin stands on his Goblin Glider and throws a smoking pumpkin bomb in this approximately 1/6 scale sculpture. Hand-sculpted by Clayburn Moore based on a design by Yuri Tming, this resin statue is limited to only 3,000 pieces, and each comes with a certificate of authenticity in a full-color box. (Item #MAR192445, SRP: $150.00)
Marvel Select Sandman Action Figure
A Diamond Select Toys release! Time for lights-out! The Sandman is coming, and he’s got the sand to take on Spider-Man — and all of the heroes in your Marvel Select collection! Wearing his classic striped shirt, Flint Marko features legs that can change to a tower of sand, and interchangeable sand fist, claw, and spiked mace pieces! Measuring approximately 7 inches tall, he comes packaged in display-ready Select packaging. Designed by Eamon O’Donoghue, and hand-sculpted by Jean St. Jean! (Item #MAR192448, SRP: $29.99)
Nightmare Before Christmas Jack in Chair Coffin Doll
A Diamond Select Toys release! Jack Skellington rests his long, long legs in this new release in the Coffin Doll Collection! Coming with a stylish office chair, Jack stands approximately 16 inches tall and features a real cloth costume, making him look like he just stepped off the screen. He also features 9 points of articulation and an exclusive head sculpt, and comes packaged in a coffin-shaped window box. (Item #MAR192449, SRP: $74.99)
Nightmare Before Christmas Jack and Sleigh PVC Set
A Diamond Select Toys release! Sandy Claws is coming! This deluxe PVC set from Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas features Jack in his coffin sleigh, pulled by three skeletal reindeer and led by a tiny figurine of Zero! Set it up on your mantle to let everyone know that a horrific Christmas is on its way! Packaged in a full-color window box. (Item #MAR192450, SRP: $124.99)
THE PRICE OF INNOCENCE, PART 3
The two greatest detectives in the DC Universe take on the one cold case that will tear them apart! As chief architect of the Sanctuary program that cost so much for so many, especially Wally West, Batman will be held accountable… by the Flash! A cold case from the Justice League’s past has mysteriously re-opened, and Batman and the Flash — the only two heroes who stand a chance of cracking the case — are at each other’s throats! Our heroes must combat a demon from the past while burying their own inner demons in the process… and neither the World’s Greatest Detective nor the Fastest Man Alive will ever be the same again! But who is really pulling the strings here? And how does Gotham Girl fit into all this? Friendships will be tested and blood will be spilled in this titanic crossover event…
Funko has another reveal coming out of Toy Fair 2019, Batman’s 80th – Batman (1995). The new Pop! is coming soon.
It was new comic book day yesterday! What’d everyone get? What’d you like? What’d you dislike? Sound off in the comments below! While you think about that, here’s some comic news and reviews from around the web.
The Beat – Five Graphic Novels nominated for the LA Times Book Prize – Congrats to all of the nominees!
CBLDF – Two New Jersey High Schools Restrict Fun Home – Grrrrr.
Comic Book – Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart Receive Guinness World Record for Longest Careers as Marvel Superheroes – Congrats to both!
Comics Bulletin – Batman #65
(W) Joshua Williamson (A) Guillem March (CA) Chris Burnham
In Shops: Feb 20, 2019
“THE PRICE” part three! The two greatest detectives in the DC Universe take on the one cold case that will tear them apart!
As chief architect of the Sanctuary program that cost so much for so many, especially Wally West, Batman will be held accountable…by the Flash! A cold case from the Justice League’s past has mysteriously re-opened, and Batman and the Flash-the only two heroes who stand a chance of cracking the case-are at each other’s throats! Our heroes must combat a demon from the past while burying their own inner demons in the process…and neither the World’s Greatest Detective nor the Fastest Man Alive will ever be the same again! But who is really pulling the strings here? And how does Gotham Girl fit into all this? Friendships will be tested and blood will be spilled in this titanic crossover event…
DC Collectibles is bringing its acclaimed Batman: Black and White statue line to Walmart stores as 4″ mini-figures. The new figures are direct transformations of the company’s acclaimed 9″-scale figures and feature designs from many world-renowned artists including Jim Lee, Bruce Timm, Amanda Conner, Darwyn Cooke and many more.
Batman: Black and White is DC Collectibles’ longest-running statue line and one of their best-sellers.
But, there’s a twist…
The 4″ line of figures will be packaged in individual blind bags stocked next to DC Comic Giants. Each month a new wave of six figures will be released widening the selection and upping the surprise factor.
The first waves of DC Collectibles Batman: Black and White 4″ figures heading to Walmart stores include:
- Batman by Amanda Connor
- Batman by Darwyn Cooke
- Batman by Jason Fabok
- Batman by Patrick Gleason
- Batman by Frank Quitely
- Batman by Dick Sprang
- Harley Quinn by Bruce Timm
- Robin by Frank Quitely
- Batman by Mike Allred
- Batman by John Romita Jr.
- Batman by Gary Frank
- Batman by Eduardo Risso
- The Joker by Jim Lee
- Batman by Dustin Nguyen
- Batman by Mike Mignola
- Batman by Sean “Cheeks” Galloway
- Batman from Batman: Arkham Asylum
- Batman by Jim Lee
- Penguin by Brian Bolland
- Robin by Carmine Infantino
- Batman by Carmine Infantino
- Batman by Chris Uminga
- Batman by Jae Lee
- Batman by Brian Bolland
The Walmart exclusive Batman: Black and White figures are priced at an MSRP of $5.00 each.