Picks of the Week: Superman Unchained #1 and 9 other Choices
I’ve been a bit down on Superman since the launch of DC’s New 52. In general, I think the existing series lack something, though not quite sure I can put my finger on it. Some writing is just incomprehensible and others lack the wonder and excitement I’m looking for. That’s why I’m intrigued by Superman Unchained #1 from the team of writer Scott Snyder and artist Jim Lee. That team alone makes this a “buy” and one of the highest profile comics this week, probably this month.
With it being Superman’s 75th anniversary and a new movie out this week. I’m crossing my fingers this is the Superman comic I’ve been waiting for from a team I know can turn out amazing stuff.
Checking out my other picks below in alphabetical order.
- American Vampire: The Long Road to Hell #1 – It’s American Vampire how is that not reason enough to purchase this!?
- Bravest Warriors #9 – One of the most consistently funny comics on the market. Great for kids and adults.
- BubbleGun #1 – Aspen’s latest series is an anime like sci-fi adventure. Cool premise and interesting art.
- Ghost Town #1 – My favorite so far of Action Lab’s Danger Zone line. The concept is terrorists with the ability to time travel.
- Six-Gun Gorilla #1 – Simon Spurrier + BOOM! = awesome!
- Supurbia #8 – It’s super heroes mixed with a soap opera and it is fantastic.
- Thor: God of Thunder #9 – Easily one of the best Marvel NOW! series. Not great for new readers, but an amazing story. Definitely should be read from the first issue.
- Thumbprint #1 – Joe Hill’s latest comic series!
- The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys #1 – Gerard Way’s latest comic series!