The finalists for the second annual Dwayne McDuffie Award for Diversity in Comics were announced today. The five nominated titles are:
- Andre the Giant Closer to Heaven by Brandon Easton (writer), Denis Medri (artist) (IDW Publishing);
- Fresh Romance edited by Janelle Asselin (Rosy Press);
- Moon Girl and the Devil Dinosaur by Brandon Montclare and Amy Reeder (Writers), Natacha Bustos (Artist) (Marvel Entertainment);
- Ms. Marvel by Willow Wilson (writer), Adrian Alphona (artist) (Marvel Entertainment);
- Zana by Jean Barker (writer), Joey Granger (Artist) (Emet Comics)
The winner will be announced at the second annual Dwayne McDuffie Award for Diversity in Comics ceremony event to be held later this month at Long Beach Comic Expo on Saturday February 20 at 2:30 PM PT, on Dwayne McDuffie’s birthday. Acclaimed comic book writer and reporter Marc Bernardin will be the event’s Keynote Speaker.
The Award is named in honor of Dwayne McDuffie, the legendary writer and producer who co-founded Milestone Media. As a writer, Dwayne created or co-created more than a dozen comic book series, including Damage Control, Deathlok II, Icon, Static, Xombi, The Road to Hell, and Hardware. Nilah Magruder was the recipient of the first annual Dwayne McDuffie Award for Diversity in Comics for M.F.K..
The Dwayne McDuffie Award for Diversity in Comics Selection Committee consists of six prominent comics and animation professionals who knew McDuffie and have demonstrated a commitment to inclusiveness:
- Neo Edmund – Novelist, animation and comics writer;
- Joan Hilty – Nickelodeon Comics Editor; editor-in-chief of Pageturner, former DC/Vertigo Senior Editor;
- Joseph Illidge – Former Editor, Milestone and DC Comics; Columnist, Comic Book Resources; Writer, First Second Books;
- Heidi MacDonald – Editor in Chief, The Beat;
- William J. Watkins – Writer; Former owner, Chicago’s first African American-owned comics store;
- Matt Wayne, Former Managing Editor Milestone Media.