NYCC 2021: Scout Comics and Mucho Mas Media Launch a Latinx Imprint
As New York Comic Con is about to start, Scout Comics has announced a new Latinx imrpint. The publisher will be partnering with Los Angeles production company Much Mas Media for the venture. The imprint, Chispa Comics, will launch its first title Attack at Acapulco: A Black Demon Tale at New York Comic Con.
David Bowles, Hector Rodriguez III, Javier Chapa, and and creative director Phillip Braun will oversee the imprint.
Attack at Acapulco takes its concept from the Mexican myth of the Black Demon, an ancient megalodon that guards nature for Tlaloc. Tlaloc is the Aztec god of rain, earthly fertility, and water. Sebastian Martinez-Kadlecik wrote the comic which features art by Bruno Oliveira.
Chispa Comics titles announced so far include:
- The Fantastic Flame – written by Alex Segura and Chantel Acevedo with art from Richard Ortiz
- Thanks! – Romina – by Giulie Speziani
- Dial “F” for Foodie – by Aaron Duran
- Mashbone & Grifty – by Oscar Garza and Rolando Esquivel
- Catrina’s Caravan – a horror anthology edited by David Bowles and Hector Rodriguez III