Picks of the Week: Lazarus #1 and 9 other Choices
In a dystopian near-future, government is a quaint concept, resources are coveted, and possession is 100% of the law. A handful of Families rule, jealously guarding what they have and exploiting the Waste who struggle to survive in their domains. Forever Carlyle defends her family’s holdings through deception and force as their protector, their Lazarus. Shot dead defending the family home, Forever’s day goes downhill from there.
That description alone would get me interested in Lazarus, the series that debuts this week from Image Comics. The fact that Greg Rucka writing it cements it as my most anticipated comic for the week. Rucka continuously shows off his skills and mastery of storytelling. The man is easily one of the best writers in the comic industry.
Expect this first issue to sell out.
Here’s the other picks in alphabetical order.
- Atomic Robo: Savage Sword of Dr. Dinosaur #1 – Atomic Robo is one of the most entertaining all-ages comics out there. It’s Indiana Jones with a robot!
- Batman/Superman #1 – Um, how can this not be on the list. Jae Lee’s art alone makes it a pick.
- Hoax Hunters: Case Files #1 – More fun solving mysteries in this entertaining series that mixes Ghost Hunters and Mythbusters.
- Larfleeze #1 – I’m crossing my fingers this isn’t a one note series like Red Lanterns and wonder how many times “mine” will be said.
- The Massive #13 – One of the best comics on the market!
- Mind MGMT #12 – One of the other best comics on the market!
- Mouse Guard: Legend of the Guard Vol. 2 #1 – The Archaia anthology returns with more awesome tales also great for all-ages.
- The Wake #2 – Scott Snyder and Sean Murphy = hells yes!
- Wolverine and the X-Men #32 – The series found its groove again with the last issue. The Hellfire Saga continues!