Writer Cecil Castellucci on Female Furies, Plain Janes & Changing Girls
Writer Cecil Castelluccidiscusses how Jack Kirby’s Fourth World Saga powers her new comics series The Female Furies. Female Furies depicts Big Barda’s own feminist awakening on the hell planet Apocalypse–a world so much like our own.
Cecil Castellucci is the award winning and New York Times Bestselling author of books and graphic novels for young adults including Shade, The Changing Girl, Boy Proof, The Plain Janes, Soupy Leaves Home, The Year of the Beasts, Tin Star, and Odd Duck. In 2015 she co-authored Star Wars Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure. She is currently writing The Female Furies with artist Adriana Melo for DC Comics.
Warning: lots of geeking out over the Fourth World Inside:
- “Bernadeth would be fun at dinner parties”
- Hockey Noir: The Opera
- Being ahead of the YA curve
- There is no allegory, women go through hell
- We are all doing our own takes on Jack Kirby
- Passing the Mega-Rod to the next generation
- Mister Miracle #9 is the lynchpin
- Here’s Elana’s Daily Beast essay about Glorious Godfrey as Donald Trump