SDCC 2013: DC Entertainment Unleashes Impressive Slate of Events
DC Entertainment announced today it will storm San Diego Comic-Con 2013 with an impressive line-up of events, announcements and giveaways that promise to amaze fans and continue to cement its position as a leader in the comic book industry.
Fans can look forward to an unprecedented celebration of the greatest and most iconic hero in history, Superman – including a look at the best-selling new series Superman Unchained and the return of Neil Gaiman’s acclaimed Vertigo series with The Sandman: Overture, featuring the breathtaking artwork of J.H. Williams III. But the San Diego fireworks don’t end there, as DC Entertainment will be giving fans a sneak peek at the dark future within DC Comics’ New 52 and unveiling the Justice League KIA car featuring custom artwork from DC Entertainment Co-Publisher Jim Lee to benefit the We Can Be Heroes giving campaign, and more.
DC Entertainment’s interactive 4,500 square foot booth, #1915, will take flight this year with a staggering collection of Superman costumes highlighting the Super Hero’s various eras and donned by actors including Henry Cavill, Christopher Reeve, Dean Cain and Tom Welling. The costume gallery anchors a booth that also boasts video game demos, creator signings, a special fan green-screen photo area, giveaways and exclusive video footage.
Plus, with a schedule packed with over 15 panels, DC Entertainment is set to deliver to fans a stellar collection of appearances, announcements and events.
- All hail the world’s first Super Hero as Superman celebrates 75 years! DC Entertainment will join its partners across Warner Bros. Entertainment to salute the most revered and influential comic book character of all time with a slew of must-see events in celebration of both the Man of Steel’s history – including a special Superman 75 panel featuring an all-star roster of guests, including Jack Larson (the original Jimmy Olsen from Adventures of Superman), first-time Comic-Con panelist Tim Daly (Superman: The Animated Series) and reigning animated Supergirl Molly Quinn (Castle) to comics luminaries Paul Levitz, Grant Morrison and Dan Jurgens plus talent from the current blockbuster, Man of Steel, and a first look at the animated short chronicling the character’s rich history, produced by Man of Steel director Zack Snyder – plus more information on the powerhouse comic book series Superman Unchained from acclaimed artist Jim Lee and writer Scott Snyder.
- Be there as the legendary Neil Gaiman offers fans a first look at his return to the comic book series that launched his career with Vertigo’s The Sandman: Overture. Brought to life by renowned artist J.H. Williams III, the new 6-issue miniseries set for release on October 30, will also be the subject of an all-star panel featuring Gaiman, Williams and artists Dave McKean and Sam Kieth.
- Dive into Vertigo’s upcoming slate of genre-defying titles – including the dark fantasy Coffin Hill, the epic adventure Hinterkind, the post-apocalyptic Suiciders, The Sandman spin-off The Dead Boy Detectives, and the erotic thriller The Discipline, along with the return of the fan-favorite series from Scott Snyder and Rafael Albuquerque, American Vampire.
- Terror takes over when Villains Month hits in September. Get an inside look at the shocking events facing our heroes as the first DC Comics’ New 52 universe-wide event is unleashed. The event, spearheaded by the 7-issue Forever Evil series by superstar writer Geoff Johns with art by the incredibly talented David Finch will also feature 52 jaw-dropping villain-centric titles boasting 3-D Motion covers. Fans will also be able to delve into the structure of this summer’s Justice League event Trinity War with a whiteboard animation video narrated by Johns, which will be showcased at the DC Entertainment booth. Plus, fans can get an early look at Necessary Evil: Super-Villains of DC Comics, an all-new documentary to be teased along with a panel headed by Johns, Kevin Shinick (Robot Chicken), Andrea Romano (Batman: The Animated Series) and Scott Porter (Friday Night Lights).
- Don’t miss DC Entertainment’s display of seven Justice League-inspired KIA cars (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, The Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg) featuring custom automobile detailing and artwork by legendary artist Jim Lee at the Interactive Zone at Petco Park, Official Comic-Con Partner. Comic-Con will mark the unveiling of the centerpiece to the collection – the Justice League KIA – to be auctioned off to benefit the We Can Be Heroes giving campaign to help fight the hunger crisis in the Horn of Africa.
- DC Entertainment, firmly established as the industry leader in digital comics, will debut its first-ever panel dedicated to the space – slated to reveal new art, innovations and an all-star cast behind some of DC Comics Digital’s most popular releases including Batman ’66, Injustice: Gods Among Us, Smallville Season 11, Legends of the Dark Knight, Adventures of Superman, Batman: Li’l Gotham, and Batman Beyond!
- Fans will be able to pick up a wide offering of exclusive items only available at this year’s Comic-Con – including variant cover editions of some of DC Comics’ most popular series Justice League, Batman, Superman Unchained, and Batman ’66, along with five new DC Collectibles items like the Aardman: Superman Action Figure, a three-pack of Super Best Friends Forever Action Figures, Batman Arkham City: Hugo Strange, a “Man of Steel” 1:6 scale Icon Statue black costume variant and DC Comics’ Super Heroes of Green Lantern four-pack.
- Superman gets an altogether different take in the fractured alternate universe of Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox, the highly anticipated DC Universe Animated Original Movie to premiere Friday at Comic-Con.
- Get an inside look at Inside Mad, the hugely anticipated forthcoming collection from “The Usual Gang Of Idiots” at MAD Magazine and get a dose of the magazine’s wit and snark at the annual MAD panel – orchestrated by Editor John Ficarra and a side-splitting cast of characters.