Avatar Press: December 2010 Solicitations
September 15, 2010 – Avatar Press proudly announces its December line-up of comic book releases, including the season-celebrating release of the NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD HOLIDAY SPECIAL #1 and the much-anticipated new printing of Alan Moore’s critically-acclaimed psychological thriller, A SMALL KILLING.
Readers can expect more than just chestnuts roasting in the open fire with the early December release of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD HOLIDAY SPECIAL #1, a “Featured Item” in Diamond Comics’ Previews catalog! In this one-shot shocker, a large family celebrates the season while a raging snowstorm buries their remote mountain farmhouse with no way in, and no way out. However, a dark, despicable family secret hidden in the barn will not stay dead, leading to an orgy of bloodshed, murder, and cannibalism.
Writer/artist Mike Wolfer (Lady Death, Gravel), Avatar’s reigning maven of horror, warns that this year, it won’t be Santa Claus coming down that chimney! “For me, there’s always been something extra-exciting about holiday-themed comics, so I’m really thrilled about this one, because, well, it’s NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD. And not only do I get to continue my unbroken streak as the only Avatar writer to work on the franchise, I’m also drawing this one, too, so expect it to be extraordinarily gory and even a bit sexy… My specialties!”
NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD HOLIDAY SPECIAL #1 is available in a wide selection of terrifying covers by Mike Wolfer, Raulo Caceres, and Matt Martin!
· NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD HOLIDAY SPECIAL #1 Regular Edition (OCT100815, $3.99)
· NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD HOLIDAY SPECIAL #1 Gore Edition (OCT100816, $3.99)
· NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD HOLIDAY SPECIAL #1 Wraparound Edition (OCT100817, $3.99)
· NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD HOLIDAY SPECIAL #1 Classic B&W Edition (OCT100818, Ask Your Retailer!)
Comic fans hungry for an additional dose of Alan Moore horror after Neonomicon can look no further than the return-to-print of A SMALL KILLING, a softcover, oversized Graphic Novel with lush, full-color paintings by artist Oscar Zarate. With completely re-mastered artwork and lettering to insure a lasting future, the Eisner Award winner tells the tale of Timothy Hole, a successful adman who has been handed the biggest assignment of his life: marketing a major cola in Russia. But his smooth life unravels as he is stalked by a demonic child that makes him question not just who he is, but how he really affects those around him. This beautiful graphic novel includes commentary by both Moore and Zarate on their creative collaboration.
· A SMALL KILLING Graphic Novel (New Printing) (OCT100804, $16.95)
In the spirit of giving, Avatar Press delivers more horror in December with new spine-tingling chapters to their continuing comic book series, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, CHRONICLES OF WORMWOOD: THE LAST BATTLE, and FEVRE DREAM.
· This month, zombie horror just can’t be confined to holiday specials, as NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD #3 harkens us back to that fateful, bloody evening in the summer of 1968! The undead descend on Washington in the midst of a massive anti-war rally at the National Mall. While homeland troops attempt to contain the simmering anger of protestors, the zombie hordes unleash the most horrific bloodbath ever seen on American soil! Written by Mike Wolfer (Lady Death, Gravel) and John Russo, the original co-writer of the classic horror film, with artwork by newcomer Tomas Aira, this third fear-fraught issue is available in Regular, Wraparound, Gore, and Classic Black-and-White editions!
· Live from New York, it’s Hell on Earth! In CHRONICLES OF WORMWOOD: THE LAST BATTLE #6, the recently-departed Pope Jacko has returned to the mortal world, intent on turning the Big Apple into a demon-infested pit. Reluctant antichrist Danny Wormwood is in way over his head with domestic disasters and the literal Armageddon. Will his best pal, the foretold savior named Jay, rise to the challenge and help? Written by comics superstar Garth Ennis (Crossed, Preacher) and illustrated by Oscar Jimenez (Gravel), and available in Regular, Wraparound, and Anti-Christ editions!
· FEVRE DREAM #9 presents the penultimate chapter to the vampire epic by New York Times best-selling author George R.R. Martin (A Song of Ice and Fire)! In this chapter, Abner Marsh’s hunt for the Fevre Dream – the fastest riverboat on the Mississippi – sees him captured at the hands of Sour Billy. With his only ally York trapped under the control of the evil blood-master Julian, will Abner be able to escape on his own? Available in Regular, Wraparound, and Nightmare editions!
Finally, Avatar Press continues its tradition of offering retailers and fans nationwide the opportunity to acquire rare comic book variants of its most popular titles, many of which were only available previously at regional conventions. This month’s gorgeous selection includes:
· CROSSED FAMILY VALUES #2 San Diego Comic-Con Edition
· CROSSED FAMILY VALUES #5 Auxiliary Edition
· NEONOMICON #1 San Diego Comic-Con Edition
· NEONOMICON #3 Auxiliary Edition
· NEONOMICON HORNBOOK Artifact Edition
· SUPERGOD #5 Convention Edition
· CAPTAIN SWING #1-4 Bag Set
Avatar Press is a leading independent company which publishes a wide variety of comic books and graphic novels by some of the most talented creators in the industry. Among their fine products are highly-regarded creator-owned titles such as Alan Moore’s NEONOMICON and THE COURTYARD, Warren Ellis’ FREAKANGELS and BLACK SUMMER, and Garth Ennis’ CROSSED and CHRONICLES OF WORMWOOD, as well as licensed comic projects such as George A. Romero’s NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD. For more information about Avatar Press and their publications, please visit www.avatarpress.com.