With his library of cult-favorite films and regular geek-centric podcasts released through his company SModCo, director and author Kevin Smith is geek royalty, holding court each year in the legendary Hall H at San Diego Comic-Con. At this past weekend’s Comic-Con, Diamond Select Toys unveiled a number of new products based on Smith’s creations!
At their booth on the show floor, DST displayed several new items from the View Askew universe, including:
- a plush doll of Buddy Christ, the religious icon who appears in many of Smith’s films;
- a Mooby ceramic mug, depicting the famous Golden Calf and fast-food mascot;
- two double-sided Jay & Silent Bob and Bluntman & Chronic mugs, capturing Smith’s alter egos (and their respective partners in crime) in the animated style of Smith’s recent Jay & Silent Bob’s Super Groovy Cartoon Movie!
Banks and Minimates mini-figures of Buddy Christ and Mooby are currently available for pre-order, with ship dates in the late summer and early fall. The Buddy Christ plush and various ceramic mugs will be offered to retailers and consumers in the coming months, for an early 2015 release.
The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are more popular today than ever before. The newest animated series on Nickelodeon is beloved by new and longtime fans alike, creating a diverse audience hungry for new stories, media and merchandise. With that audience in mind, Nickelodeon has partnered with Diamond Select Toys to create a similarly diverse array of toys and collectibles for fans of the hit franchise, with the first products debuting at San Diego Comic-Con.
The depth of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise allows us to continue to create new products that will resonate with both new and loyal fans, said Manuel Torres, Senior Vice President, Global Toys and Publishing, Nickelodeon Consumer Products. Partnering with Diamond Select Toys to create a variety of products is a perfect example of the momentum of the Heroes in a Half Shell.
Comic-Con International in San Diego, which runs from July 24-28, will see the first physical Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles products from Diamond Select, two translucent Minimates mini-figures of Leonardo and Michelangelo. These products will be handed out for free (while supplies last) daily during the convention at the Diamond Select Toys booth (#2607) and Nickelodeon booth (#4113), respectively.
Products from several different categories will begin to hit stores in September, including:
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Minimates Series 1: The cast of the animated series has been transformed into a series of 2 -inch block figures as part of the wide-ranging Minimates brand. Each figure in the line features interchangeable parts as well as their trademark weapons. Characters include the four Turtles, April O’Neil, Shredder, Foot Soldiers, Foot-Bot, Kraang and Exo-Armor Kraang and are available in blind bags and two-packs. Sold at comic shops, specialty stores, Kmart, Sears and Toys “R” Us.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Vinyl Bust Banks: The four turtles will be re-created from the waist-up as full-color vinyl money banks. Striking action poses with their trademark weapons, each 7 inch bust is based on 3D data from the animated series, and will feature collectible-quality sculpting and paint, as well as a coin slot and access door. Sold at comic shops, specialty stores and Toys “R”Us.
- Michelangelo Metal Bottle Opener: A classic image of Michelangelo enjoying a slice of pizza, taken from promotional artwork for the 1987 cartoon series, has been turned into a 3D metal bottle opener, with magnets on the back so it can be hung on any metal surface. Sold at comic shops and specialty stores.
- Michelangelo Pizza Cutter: Michelangelo’s mind is always on pizza, and now his head will help slice it! This pizza cutter shaped like Michelangelo’s head is a must-have for any pizza party, Turtle-themed or otherwise. Sold at comic shops and specialty stores.
LEGO has said they’ll be giving away a minifigure at San Diego Comic-Con based on a DC Comic character in a raffle, much like they’ve done the last few years. Check out this year’s figure, Zur-En-Arrh.
On the Marvel end, there’ll be a figure of The Collector which you can get an idea of what it looks like below.
There’s a new DC Comics LEGO set debuting at San Diego Comic-Con, 76025 Green Lantern vs Sinestro. The set not only includes a Green Lantern and Sinestro figure, but also “Space” Batman. The new set hits January 2015.
(via BrickHeroes and Kotaku)
Vacation is over! At least the first one, still heading to Chicago next week. I plan to make plenty of stops along the way, with hopes of finding the Guardians and X-Men Marvel Legends figures.
To welcome me home, this little gem debuted. My, oh my, what a gem indeed.
Hot Toys is making Transformers figures now. I might have to re-think that higher power thing. This is what dreams are made of.
The Optimus Prime (Starscream Version) Collectible Figure specially features:
- Approximately 30 cm tall
– Over 36 points of articulations
– Special features on armor:
– LED-lighted eyes (white light, battery operated)
– Chest can be opened to reveal LED light up Matrix of Leadership (white light, battery operated)
– One (1) pair of palms with movable fingers
– Metallic red, silver, yellow and blue colored painting on armor with distress effect
– Embossed Autobots insignia on left shoulder
– One (1) cannon
– Two (2) rifles mountable on shoulder or forearm
– One (1) pair of wings
– One (1) set of wheels mountable on figure’s back
– Two (2) back mounting accessories
– One (1) rocky ground diorama base with Autobots’ logo
Special Version – Bonus Accessory
(This special edition is for Ani-Com pre-order and selected markets only.):
– One (1) Starscream head
Looks like I’ll be cancelling that R2-D2 pre-order and making THIS my overboard purchase of the year. No word on release date or price yet. But when I know, you’ll know. You’ll hear my screams of joy.
Mezco Toyz has announce a thrilling line of collectibles based on FX’s new series The Strain.
The Strain is a high concept thriller from co-creators, Executive Producers and Writers Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan and Executive Producer/Showrunner Carlton Cuse. The series tells the story of Dr. Ephraim Goodweather, the head of the Center for Disease Control Canary Team in New York City (home of Mezco headquarters). Goodweather and his team are called upon to investigate a mysterious viral outbreak with hallmarks of an ancient and evil strain of vampirism. As the strain spreads, Eph, his team, and an assembly of everyday New Yorkers, wage war for the fate of humanity itself. The Strain airs Sundays at 10:00 pm ET/PT only on FX.
Mezco has acquired rights to produce Strain figures in an assortment of scales, Living Dead Dolls, plush items, bobble heads, and more.
Mezco will also be offering the first-ever collectible coins for The Strain at San Diego Comic Con beginning on July 23th. The limited edition collectible features the series logo on the front and the biohazard symbol, as seen in the series, on the reverse.
Each coin is a stunning testament not only to the ancient evil of The Strain, but also to the artisans who hand craft each coin. Each hefty coin is crafted of solid metal and die struck. Each individual color is added by hand before being fired at over 500 degrees Fahrenheit for 24 hours to ensure maximum durability. In the final step, the coins are polished to an inhuman luster and then sealed in their airtight containment units.
Only 300 of these limited edition coins exist, and they are available exclusively at the Mezco Toyz booth #3445 and online while supplies last.
LEGO usually has some awesome exclusives at San Diego Comic-Con. This year they not only have one related to this summer’s Guardians of the Galaxy, but the company will also have an exclusive LEGO Batman Batmobile based off of the classic television show.
The exclusive sets will be capped at 250 of them a day, for 1,000 total sets at the show. On top of that, they’ll also be raffling off four minifigures throughout the show.
To celebrate Batman’s 75th Anniversary, LEGO will have a life-sized Batcycle based off of the classic television series as well as debuting two new sets, one of which is the Batman Tumbler.
On the Marvel front, the company will have a custom-built life-sized LEGO version of Groot and Rocket Raccoon. An SDCC exclusive LEGO set, Rocket Raccoon’s Warbird, will be sold and an exclusive minifigure of The Collector from Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy will be up for grabs to lucky fans as part of the raffle.
It’s new comic book day, and it’s also the first day of San Diego Comic-Con! Check us out throughout the day as we’ll be bringing you all the big breaking news!
Around the Tubes
ICv2 – Skybound to Distribute ‘Superfight’ – Interesting.
Kotaku – Hulk Hates Being Timed Playstation Exclusive – Holy crap is that expensive.
Kotaku – Angry Birds Transformers Toys Do Transform, Basically – Wow do these look bad.
Around the Tubes Reviews
NC Gamer – Dragon Age Library Edition
Talking Comics – Harbinger #25
Comic Vine – Injustice: Year Two #16
Redesigning the 6″ scale figure category by combining posable action figures with real cloth outfitting, in a similar fashion to the 1/6th scale and larger collectables. Mezco‘s One:12 Collective line will present a multitude of different characters from numerous brands.
Combining superior sculpting with an abundance of articulation, the One:12 Collective figures feature over 32 points of articulation, capable of over 40,000 possible poses: combining form and function to create a remarkably realistic aesthetic. Digitally sculpted by the industry’s finest artists and painstakingly engineered by Mezco’s production team is a state of the art collectable that holds up to real play.
The costuming is meticulously tailored and uses specially selected materials to create the highest standard of outfitting and drapery at the 6″ scale. Fabrication, color, drapery, comparative scale and mobility are all closely considered to bring the finest attire achievable Every One:12 Collective figure will include a display base as well as a multitude of accessories. These accessories are designed to have a “real world” look to further make the figure seem like it has truly come to life. These accessories, also precisely crafted, range from changeable parts to character specific weapons, equipment and props.
Currently planned for the One:12 Collective are characters from The DC Universe, Judge Dredd, Classic Universal Monsters, and some other surprises to be announced in the future.
The One:12 Collective The Dark Knight Returns Batman figure is set to be publicly revealed at San Diego Comic Con at Mezco booth # 3445 and shipping to customers in Fall 2014.
LEGO announced a new set made up of over 1800 bricks will be out in September. Check out Batman’s Tumbler.