With the success of last year’s analysis of Star Trek’s entire comics history, Sequart has announced that work has commenced on three Star Wars books and two Planet of the Apes books.
Over the next three years, Sequart will release essay anthologies analyzing all aspects of the Star Wars mythos:
- First up will be 2015’s A Long Time Ago: Exploring the Star Wars Cinematic Universe: Edited by Rich Handley and Joseph F. Berenato, this book will examine the entire big- / small-screen saga that is Star Wars. From theatrical films to TV movies, from cartoons and commercials to variety shows and video-based amusement-park rides, the mythos continues to keep audiences glued to their seats. This anthology features insightful, analytic essays about the franchise’s long history from popular film historians, novelists, bloggers, and subject-matter experts, exploring why the films proved so immediately popular, where the movies and TV shows have succeeded and faltered, and why we all keep going back for more.
- Next will be 2016’s A Galaxy Far, Far Away: Exploring Star Wars Comics: Editors Joseph F. Berenato and Rich Handley pick up where their previous volume left off. Over a thousand comics have been produced from a variety of publishers, including Blackthorne Publishing, the L.A. Times Syndicate, Dark Horse Comics, Scholastic, Tokyopop, and more. They’ve spanned the history of the franchise, from millennia before Anakin Skywalker’s birth to beyond Luke Skywalker’s death, and they’ve focused on every aspect of the Star Wars Universe. This anthology features insightful, analytic essays examining the Star Wars comics, written by popular comic historians, novelists, bloggers, and subject-matter experts — plus, a foreword by fan-favorite Star Wars comics writer John Ostrander. From Jaxxon to Cody Sunn-Childe, from Ulic Quel-Droma to Lady Lumiya, find out how comics helped to keep the Star Wars Universe alive, and why you’re missing out if you’re not reading them.
- Finally there’ll be 2017’s A More Civilized Age: Exploring the Star Wars Expanded Universe: More than 250 Star Wars novels have been published by Del Rey, Bantam Books, Ballantine Books, and others, aimed at both young and adult readers. Spanning the decades before, during, and after the films’ events, the books have spawned new galactic governments, explored the nature of the Jedi and the Sith, and developed the Star Wars mythos well beyond merely a series of films and television shows. Editors Rich Handley and Joseph F. Berenato complete their trilogy with a look back at not only the Star Wars novels but also video games, radio shows, role-playing games, and more. This volume offers insightful, analytic essays examining the Star Wars E.U., written by popular film historians, novelists, bloggers, and subject-matter experts — including fan-favorite Star Wars novelists Timothy Zahn and Ryder Windham. The films were just the beginning; find out how the universe expanded.
And the sci-fi fun continues! Over the next 18 months, Sequart and the editing dynamic duo of Handley and Berenato will deliver two Planet of the Apes essay anthologies:
- Coming out in just a few months will be The Sacred Scrolls: Comics on the Planet of the Apes: More than 150 POTA comics have been published during the past four decades, from Gold Key, Marvel Comics, Power Records, Brown Watson Books, Editorial Mo.Pa.Sa., Malibu Graphics, Dark Horse, Mr. Comics, and BOOM! Studios. Writers have explored the settings, concepts, and characters from the films (and occasionally the TV series), while introducing an array of new characters and scenarios. Back stories have been revealed, plot holes filled in, and histories extrapolated upon. The comics have employed multiple genres and styles, taking readers to distant villages, ruined cities, and oceanic civilizations — and have even seen the apes battle alien invaders from War of the Worlds and Alien Nation. It’s been quite the madhouse, to be sure. But by and large, the Apes comics have remained true to novelist Pierre Boulle’s simian spirit. This anthology will feature insightful, analytic essays about the franchise’s four-color continuation, from popular comic historians, novelists, bloggers and subject-matter experts.
- And 2016 will see Bright Eyes, Ape City: Examining the Planet of the Apes Mythos: The Planet of the Apes franchise has spawned eight films, with a ninth currently in the works, as well as two television series and several novels. It’s one of the most respected franchises in film history. This anthology will examine every Apes film, TV show, and novel, from 1968 to present. Like the first volume, this anthology will feature insightful, analytic essays about the franchise’s long history, from popular film historians, novelists, bloggers, and subject-matter experts. If you’re eager to learn more about Apes lore, then you’ll need to get your stinkin’ paws on this book.
At Star Wars Celebration a teaser trailer and details on Star Wars: Rogue One were released. The film will center around the formation of the elite team and their mission to steal the plans to the Death Star.
We’ll update this post when a better quality teaser is released.
A bit better video below.
The Empire has fallen. It is now a time for resurgence. It is a time for new beginnings. This September, Marvel Comics and Lucasfilm will present the newest chapter of the Star Wars mythos with Star Wars: Journey to The Force Awakens – Shattered Empire written by comic book legend, Greg Rucka with art by Marco Checchetto.
Created in close partnership with Lucasfilm, this new Marvel Comics limited series will exist as part of the canon for the Star Wars universe and will offer a glimpse into December’s Star Wars: The Force Awakens!
Once again, Marvel brings the biggest creators in the industry to the biggest characters in a galaxy far, far away. Be there when the Star Wars line expands this September!
Star Wars: Journey to The Force Awakens – Shattered Empire #1
Written by GREG RUCKA
Art by MARCO CHECHETTO
Cover by PHIL NOTO
On Sale in September!
It’s time for Hikari Friday! Funko debuts two brand new Hikari Premium figures! The Shadow Trooper is available for pre-order from Funko for the first time today. The Gray Skull Wampa is available exclusively through Entertainment Earth.
Shadow Trooper Hikari Premium Sofubi Figure
The Shadow trooper is limited to 1000pcs worldwide.
Gray Skull Wampa Exclusive Metallic Hikari Premium Sofubi Figure
You can pre-order Gray Skull Wampa exclusively through Entertainment Earth.
Ript Apparel has three new designs today. Spider Experiment, Imperial Ranger, and Springfield Comics from vale.vfKff, enerimateos, and AtomicRocket will be for sale on April 17, 2015 only!
Spider Experiment by vale.vfKff
Imperial Ranger by enerimateos
Springfield Comics by AtomicRocket
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links and make a purchase, we’ll receive a percentage of the sale. Graphic Policy does purchase items from this site. Making purchases through these links helps support the site.
New footage and a better idea of what to expect when Star Wars: The Force Awakens hits theaters this December.
Star Wars Celebration kicks off today, and Marvel has announced that that smooth-talking scoundrel is getting his own comic starting in July. Lando Calrissian will star in Lando #1, a limited series from writer Charles Soule and artist Alex Maleev.
The story sees the character embarking on his greatest caper ever and takes place before his time on Cloud City and the Death Star run.
Check out below for two covers from the upcoming series.
For the first time ever there will be streaming with over 30 hours of live video from Star Wars Celebration Anaheim, beginning now with The Force Awakens panel! The panel features J.J. Abrams and producer Kathleen Kennedy and is powered by Verizon.
The coverage will run throughout the four-day event so check out starwars.com for the full details and more.
Marvel Unlimited is welcoming the Star Wars Legends universe of digital comic books and to celebrate this, for a limited time, Marvel Unlimited is offering new and returning subscribers their first month free. For the first month of a Marvel Unlimited monthly subscription, new and returning subscribers will be able to enjoy free access to over 500 Star Wars Legends digital comic books along with over 15,000 digital Marvel comics!*
Unlock a galaxy far, far away by using the Promo Code STAR WARS at Marvel Unlimited Checkout and prepare for some of the greatest Star Wars comics featuring Darth Vader, Boba Fett, Rogue Squadron, and many more! Marvel Unlimited is accessible on the web and through the Marvel Unlimited app on iPhone, iPad and Android devices.
New to the Star Wars and Marvel Universe and don’t know where to start? No need to worry! Marvel Unlimited subscribers have access to the DISCOVER section of Marvel Unlimited. Subscribers are now able to discover easy to follow avenues into the Star Wars and Marvel Universes by being able to search by their favorite storylines, characters or creators.
With Star Wars Legends joining Marvel Unlimited, the DISCOVER section will be regularly updated to guide you through the vast history of the Star Wars Legends universe beginning with the following Star Wars DISCOVERS:
- Character Spotlight: Boba Fett
- Rise of the Rebels
- Character Spotlight: Darth Vader
- Rogue Squadron
- The Dark Force Rises
Additional Star Wars Legends digital comics will be added to Marvel Unlimited on a regular basis and beginning this summer, the next generation of Star Wars comics comes to Marvel Unlimited beginning with the critically acclaimed and record breaking Star Wars #1 by Jason Aaron and John Cassaday. With a Death Star-sized catalogue of Star Wars content now available in Marvel Unlimited, there is no doubt that the Force is strong with this deal!
Funko has announced more Star Wars Celebration exclusives today! Funko will be exhibiting at Star Wars Celebration 2015 in Anaheim, CA! You can find them at booth #1410!
Super Shogun: Shadowtrooper
Super Shogun Shadowtrooper is 24″ tall and features a left fist launcher and wheeled feet.
Super Shogun: Boba Fett
Super Shogun Boba Fett is 24″ tall with wheeled feet and features a wrist and jetpack launcher.